Saturday, December 5, 2009

It's only rock & skull.



For the past couple of months I have felt like I've been working 3 jobs-
1. The Cash Provider
2. The jewellery label
3. The Fantasy
Number 3 is 'Fantasy Squad' an exciting and most welcome thorn in my side in the form of an art show. I was making two large pieces for the show, run by a couple of very talented friends of mine. In truth I was just super pumped to be able to created something in larger scale than jewellery, but I almost bit off more than I could chew.
After perving on some of Sass & Bides amazing installations I just had to work with real animal bone in an artwork, I love anything skull, so this was just a natural progression. Where S&B were more post apocalyptic with their Mad Max roadside skulls, I wanted mine to touch on the magnificant. Like something one might stumble upon while running through a glossamer forest with the sugar plum fairy, while still retaining that macabre, sinister nature of the skull and the cross.
This piece almost sent me blind, having to solder the metal components together to make the cross, then glue the stones in the cross, then glue the 2088 swarovski crystals to the head itself, I thought I may never finish.
The fact that the head itself had to travel across many oceans and go through many custom's checks made it's arrival that much more welcome.
I must also mention the fact that I am still finding crystal's in random places around the apartment and a big thank-you to the boyfriend who put up with lot's of boring nights of me working on it while obsessing over 'The City' playing on repeat in the background.
It was worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment